Sunday, November 15, 2020

Yesterday Long Gone - Poem- By Ali Hamid Khan

 

Yesterday Long Gone

By

Ali Hamid Khan

15.11.2020

Yesterday seems a long way behind a glimmer shining through my days that steals my attention

I look through the crevice of time and see my days of youth

There are voices from long ago, my past which was so sweet

Nostalgia overwhelms me as I remember the happy days of childhood

The sun shone always bright and smiles were always there when friends came together

Ruefully I remember the evening badminton games the clamour of joy

When we sat and watched movies on our home projector with cousins and friends excited and jubilant

Yesterday now seems a very long time ago and sometimes just an illusion maybe a dream we saw together

There was no care, no worry to crease the brow merrymaking and rolling in the fields playing our favourite games

We ate from the roadside vendors without a care or fear we relished the taste of tamarind chutney

Hot patties in a tin box we waited with eagerness as soon as he appeared calling out, we jumped with joy

Chanachur and jhaalmuri in conical paper holders were a sight for sore eyes we loved the spicy muri (puffed rice) soaked in mustard oil yummy were the treats

Yesterday long gone now like a dream the landscape has changed and simplicity now extinct

How we longingly remember and chat about those days of ataraxia and a state of Niksen every time we friends gather and sip our hot tea. 

 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home